Sunday, March 4, 2012

Age of 'out of touch'

My iphone is amazing.  I feel that the government should just pass them out to people.  For free.  Then just watch the world change.  There's a flippin app for EVERYTHING.  If I want to know my horoscope, the best trigger point for plantar fasciitis, my ESPN dream team, or even a tutorial for my next move on my chess game....I have it available. Incredible.   And it's overwhelmingly overwhelming. 

The other night I went on my usual walk the dog, bike the boy routine.  It starts with an argument over wearing a helmet and ends with inevitable glorious sleep before we are through with the chosen book.  I love these routines more than life itself. 

Two nights ago in particular, was very extraordinary not just because it's a beautiful pasttime with my child, but because of the epiphone at hand.  We (he) were skateboarding in the neighbor's far superior driveway while I caught up on a little of my yoga...under a full moon.  My dog kept my son herded out of the street instinctively keeping his daredevil ways in check.  The air was cool and comfortable.  The lake glistened.  Sounds of 5 year old laughter and cheap rollerskate wheels on concrete were the only lovely distractions from my tired Mom nirvana. 

.....And I realized something.  In the age of information with everything at my fingertips, there was little that TRULY made me feel like I was in heaven compared to this routine evening.  Little that kept me in touch with the surroundings and information which move me the most.  There's simply no app for that.....

No comments:

Post a Comment