Saturday, March 26, 2011

More run propaganda: Open trail, open mind.

I find myself yet again attempting to solicit propaganda for running and endurance training.  My last entry on the topic spoke of running as a means of stress relief and a productive tool for dealing with emotional turmoil.  I hope that made any readers at least LOOK at some running shoes and associate the activity with happiness instead of dread in many cases.  This time I think I will get your legs moving for sure....out on the trail. 

Using cardio or running for instance to deal with grief is popular.  I love the practice.  But has anyone besides myself considered using a gorgeous, outdoor run for mental clarity?  I've found when the endless chatter between your ears becomes too loud for productive daily functioning, an open air run can turn down the volume.  Or at least simplify the content.  Especially in a simpler area.  Like a trail. 

Here's how I'm going to sell it.  First I must say that the act of running itself is very precise and requires much conscious attention to the movement.  This means to do it properly you must focus on it and it only indirectly pushing all other daily nonsense out your chattering mind.  Work, family, bills, etc MUST be replaced by cadence, lean, strike-below-hip in order to complete your run biomechanically safe.  Your mantra consists of "step, step, step, right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot, quick feet, place feet, quick feet" Bam!  You have just cleared your head, or at least ground your issues down to basic movement necessities.  I love it, it's like magic. 

Next I'm going to use the environment to further carve away the excess garbage that weighs down our spirits and provokes mental chaos.  Get out of the urban atmosphere and find a good open trail.  Whether it's alongside a mountain or a stripe surrounded only by air headed to nowhere, find it and make sure it's OPEN.  An Open run is the catalyst for an Open mind without sounding too cliche.  With your new simple movements, make your mind as space rich as the air.  Open, open, open.  Nothing bumps into one another in your head.  No tasks ran over.  No ideas crammed and lost.  Just open, floating freedom of the mind. 

At this point, the possibilities are endless for future mental productivity.  Stress is low, spirits are high, legs and heart are strong.  Sigh, more run propaganda.....are you sold yet?  I'm a lifetime customer I know that for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment