Sunday, February 5, 2012

Accountability from your peeps, and a new perspective on old workouts.

Some days, well, most days I sit on the edge of the pool, fully geared up, and just wish really hard for my body to jump in leaving my head and daydreaming thoughts nice and warm in the sauna. Body, please work out really hard, really fast, then come back to head and lazy thoughts for shower.

I don't always look forward to working out contrary to a lot of beliefs. I hate it many days. But I've discovered a secret weapon outside of the grim truth and acceptance of the fact that exercise is like death and taxes...simply not a choice. You just MUST.  My weapon is something that my clients have used to fight workout aversion forever- ACCOUNTABILITY. 

Last Tuesday I set a 'playdate' of sorts with my triathlon client, Crystal, to swim.  Early afternoon I'm toast and I was sincerely hoping my iphone would say that Crystal was trying to weasel her way out of our date and I could text back something like, "Aw man I'm so bummed you're not training with me.  Are you SURE you can't muster up the ovaries for this?"  All while being super happy that I, the coach, was no longer at risk of being the sorry example of a so-called fitness leader. 

The water was freezing.  Crystal hopped right in and I bitched to myself for 2500 yards and still didn't get warm.  She didn't let out a peep about the temperature.  She was too focused on her form and agility.  Her beginner enthusiasm for her new skill and lack of pet peeves such as goggle fogging and swimmers with poor lane sharing etiquette was refreshing.  It reminded me of when I first started and it was just plain so cool to be 'training' for an event.  My workout turned from lap after jaded lap....to an adventure.  And the sauna was that much sweeter.  Thank you, Crystal!

The next day I text Mickey, "I'm getting on the trainer tonight." (It's a stand for your own bike so you can ride at home).  I let him know this for two reasons- first to make him aware simply of my plans for the early evening.  And next to ensure that he doesn't let me get out of it by finding something else to do like watch Luke ride his bike instead, laundry, or walk the dog.  He ALWAYS says, "hey aren't you supposed to be on the trainer, already?!"  Sigh....yes. 

Once on, Mickey suggested I try a certain workout.  I responded that it probably wasn't a good day for that particular one because my "legs are especially tired."  Unlike lighthearted tri newbie Crystal, my overly experienced triathlete superstar boyfriend fired back with a statement that carried zero empathy yet was loaded with undeniable truth, "Everyone's legs are tired." 

But mine are more tired.  I pouted for a minute.  Then stopped.  And pedaled my ass off.  Mickey was right.  I was lucky to have tired legs, not to mention the ability to work out at home.  I finished super pleased that I made good use of my perfectly healthy, just tired, legs.  And I finished so grateful that someone insisted I quit being a baby. 

Tired of working out?  Search for new angles and perspectives on fitness.  Get with someone whose just learning what it means to be 'healthy' and enjoy their daily epiphones.  Then get with someone who knows your limits and is comfortable pushing them; perhaps even reminds you that you're not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment