Monday, February 20, 2012

Vacation, calories, living, loving, celebrating....do it all!

My stomach hates me.  I don't blame it, given what I ingested over the endless walkway paved with sugar and salt that is Sea World and the San Diego Zoo bloated corner of sunny Southern California.  Yes where churros and popcorn satisfy the inevitable salty/sweet combo you crave while pushing your kids through sweaty tourists is where I vacationed.  And I smile at every inch my waistline protrudes over normal circumferences.  Stomach be damned. 

Because this type of thing is necessary.  For a few reasons in fact.  GIVEN OF COURSE THAT ONE, MYSELF ESPECIALLY BEING A TRAINER, LIVES A SUPER WELL LIFE ALMOST 100 PERCENT OF THE TIME.  I say this before my clients scough at my credibility as a wellness lecture maniac upon hearing of my nutrition indiscretions.  If you live well, vacation caloric mayhem CAN
happen.....and here's why:

1.  Just like you don't recognize the happy times without the unhappy times in life; the same principle applies to nutrition and your sense of feeling good or like crap.  If you're ALWAYS on point with your nutrition, you never know how good it is to RETURN to it.  To exit 'gut rot'.  To ditch the sugar high/crash cycle.  I've seen it, felt it, and happy to report I will NOT return....for a while.  Pat myself on the back for braving the journey.

2.  There's just some things out there, bad or good, sinful or healthful....but mostly sinful, that we HAVE to taste.  And at certain times in our lives, as well.  For instance the crispy crust of a churro with a gooey inside while giggling at the leftover sugar on my own and my super happy 5 year old's lips is a priceless moment.  No other snack while oooohing and aaaahhhing over the beauty of a large caged and sleepy cat at the zoo would've perfected the moment.  That moment which made a large, important mark in his life.  And my own. 

3.  Control is a good thing when it comes to wellness and nutrition, yet an enemy at times when it comes to happiness and enjoying the present moment.  To fully enjoy life as we should aspire to do, means at times letting go of control.  This may mean one sinister snack leading to another and licking the bag, yet it also means opening your life up to unexpected adventures.  A walk from the popcorn stand through the sand of the beach and beyond.  Let the calorie count off early for a day and explore new territory with loved ones.  You may end up burning it off anyway with your new freeing activity.  And the little ones won't forget your saying 'yes' to that which makes them glow.....you unhinged. 

4.  'Falling off the wagon' and displaying lack of supposed strength in discipline is ironically the perfect opportunity to demonstrate your REAL strength and discipline with 'climbing back on the wagon'.  Here's why:  IT'S NOT HOW OFTEN OR HOW HARD WE FALL OFF, BUT RATHER HOW QUICKLY WE GET BACK ON.  HOW WE TURN IT AROUND.  HOW WE ONCE AGAIN PRACTICE OUR WELLNESS.  Let the 'bad' things go and show your true tenacity by stepping back into your good routine IMMEDIATELY.  Then celebrate your amazing ability to live life the FULLEST and HEALTHIEST. 

......I know it's what I'm going to do! 
......And I have a very happy family as a bonus. 

Live it up and live well. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all of your points, and especially #4. Very insightful.

    Sounds like you guys had a fantastic vacation, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete