Monday, September 26, 2011

Las Vegas Triathlon mayhem report. Thank you for keeping the local scene alive!

"I can't believe I actually just did that".......
Tomoko Miyazawa said that to me with bright eyes and exhausted body after our race. That's why we kill ourselves with this triathlon stuff....for that very moment. I won my Olympic distance race overall as well as my coach, Cyndee Platko having won the sprint distance overall, BUT!.....our moment of glory doesn't come even remotely close to being as satisfying as the look on Felicia Gassen's face coming into the finish line of her very first triathlon. Again....that's why we kill ourselves with all this triathlon stuff. My newby tri girls finished an athletic/emotional/physical/spiritual endeavor they NEVER imagined themselves finishing. Kudos to my brave souls! So, so proud of you!
On the seasoned triathlete scene, the day was on our side as well. In addition to Cyndee and I putting together a great race, Mickey placed first in his age group as well as our fav south american smart ass, Denny Silva. Cyndee's boyfriend, Michael Ratner, also placed 2nd in his age group.  It is so wonderful to see my training family so to speak, who I see working harder at this multisport biz than even the pros, take home a much deserved win. I have many to thank for the push to the finish line, especially Kim and Michelle. Those two amazingly fast women made me work harder on chasing down some triathlete tail than the hungriest of competitive predators. (Sound a little dramatic and overkill? Well, it WAS a drama filled run!)
Often we triathletes get swept up in the narcissism of our 'placing' and 'splits', and we forget to give credit to that which we CANNOT function without.....OUR SUPPORTERS! There's nothing more valuable at a tri than a good support guy or gal. Cheering, helping, photos, and simply just being there makes our tri world go round. I heard SO much cheering from Tomoko's boyfriend and my dearest client, Victor Kastner. He gets first place in my book and trophy for 'best support guy ever'. Thank you so much. And thank you so much to all those that came and cheered and truly make local racing what it is.....a GREAT time.
Las Vegas triathlon is growing exponentially. I love that. I love that for the people I meet and lifestyle I get to retain. I love that because I can continue introducing people to 'their first race'.  After all, if you can make it through a triathlon in this life.....you can make it through ANYTHING.
Thank you to everyone for not only the race support, but for continuing to keep corehore going and able to share these moments with people.
Much love,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment