Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pain on top of pain.

My client nearly hit me in the face with a weight the other day.  It certainly wasn't deliberate.  I was just in anger's path.  Two days prior I watched another client/friend nearly run the belt off the treadmill.  I'm not sure from what she was running.  But whatever proverbial monster lurked behind her seemed to be far more of a menace than any treadmill repurcussions.  Whether she could walk right for 8 days or not. 

I of all people can relate to the need to hammer away at a workout in an attempt to numb emotional pain.  I've used weight training to go punch for punch with some pent up aggression or I've been known to run myself too tired to worry about life's trials.  I'm not afraid to admit it.  Especially now that I'm over it. 

I'm over it because I had a major protester during my anaesthesizing workout routines in the 'pain cave'....my body.  My body had no say in this.  My body got jipped.  My body ironically was the thing that wasn't feeling at all 'good' from the attempt to finally feel 'good.'  No.  It just got beat up.  Just like any drug, the masking of pain was temporary. 

Please, please don't think I'm discouraging anyone from embracing a workout like therapy.  I know it's my therapy, my best friend, and utter constant in my life.  It's just important to know that your body must be compensated for all the work (abuse) it's been taking on for the sake of giving your head a few fresh endorphins.  Pay it with good nutrition, plenty of rest, and all forms of rehabilitation.  This is the only way it will continue to serve you through all the pain our lives may deliver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment