Friday, February 18, 2011

A note from a hot Fireman boyfriend on Mental Toughness...

So first let me say Hi to all of you in blogger nation, this is Nancy's boyfriend Mickey coming to you all with a very important training tool for you to use EVERYDAY.  The subject I asked Nancy if I could write about is training your mind to have and be MENTALLY TOUGH for not only your workouts and races but for everyday life.

We all have diffucluties in life whether it be at work, gym or at home with family.  I, like Nancy, like to train for and do well in triathlons which takes a tremendous amount of MENTAL TOUGHNESS when times get tough on that never ending swim, longer than life hill climb, or the last 5 miles of the run.

 I was on the treadmill today after being sick for the past week (like half of Vegas) and had a hard workout to do not above my ability but just one of those workouts where they are just TOUGH and you don't want to do it let alone be at the gym.  That's when the light bulb popped up in my head to write about this subject. In my training and my work profession I have had to really on MENTAL TOUGHNESS a lot. I never really gave it much thought until I read an article about training your mind like you train your body to go above and beyond what your body feels and or what your body can do.  It has been proven that  you can train your mind like we all train or body's with great success. For example the NAVY SEALS training program. They put these guys through HELL we can't imagine, but the strong minded people make it through the process (must be super fit as well) but mind power plays a HUGE role. 

I have been working on my mental toughness ever since I read that article.  It has become my 4th discipline even before my nutrition which is my 5th discipline now (swim, bike, and run being the first 3 in my world.  May be something else in yours).  At times it can be tough and other times it's easy, hard times are running that extra half mile at race pace because YOU CAN, or riding that extra 15 min on the bike because YOU CAN, and not to mention those calls at my work (firefighter engineer) every hour on the hour after midnight with no sleep, and coming home to well we all love her NANCY and sometimes the LUKIFER, and EASY is well EASY. 

Hey I'm here to tell you I am no expert at any of this stuff but I do know one thing I have become a better athlete and person through training my mind to be tough when the tough gets going.  It can be as simple as biting your tongue at work, or not laying on the horn when you get cut off in traffic.  Most of use don't want to deal with the gym, family, and work but we have to so why not approach it at a better angle than before with working out not just your muscles but your MIND as well.

 Everyone will have there own way of training their mind I have no training plan to give you but all I can say  it's as easy as going that little or a lot extra in everyday living.  I will say one thing I can guarantee  that ALL of you will remember the extra you did during the day, it's never your planned stuff you remember or that regular 8 hour work day, it's the EXTRA time you spent at the gym running that extra 5 min on the treadmill or bike, the EXTRA time at Work, or maybe the EXTRA patience with your family life. Believe you me that's what you remember.  I just wanted to say that if you train your mind right when things get tough you and your body will respond with great results and success. You WILL be able to do things you NEVER thought you could, so in everyday life do alittle EXTRA it will pay you back tons in the end. Thank you for your time in this matter please respond whether you like my subject or not so Nancy knows.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment