Monday, August 22, 2011

9/11. A hot run monument.

I hate that the show "Rescue Me" was cancelled.  I hate it not only because the character development was brilliant and the content/acting utterly amazing, but I hate that it was cancelled because it was a television monument of sorts for moment in history when time stood still:  September 11th. 

So now one of the ways we remembered that day is gone and so is my view of Dennis Leary....crap. 

Two days ago we turned off the T.V and went to bed.  Mickey and I had a long bike and run in the morning and if we didn't get up at my usual ungodly hour, we were good as triathlete rotisserie.  The ride was hot as Lakeshore Dr can deliver in August, and the run, well.....the edges of the road wavered and the souls of my shoes stuck.  Not to mention our own very souls were pretty tired. 

All you could hear was the breathing when we ran.  We didn't speak. Without words we dually noted how the breeze had stopped and our backs were engulfed in heat.  It was inescapable.  Unless we kept running.  Which we did.  And we escaped. 

For every tough training and race, I try to think of something strong to pull me through.  My son, cancer survivors, a story of triumph, anything.  I try to give it a purpose instead of taking it personally.  After Mickey and I crawled away from the veritable flames and into our car, we drove by another crazy person running along the road, whom Mickey knew, to see if he needed water.  They chatted for a while about how difficult it's been to stay motivated during the end of the season for the long races.  Mickey mentioned, "I know it sounds weird, but one of the only things that gets me off the couch to train for World's is the fact that it's on 9/11."  Not weird at all, actually. 

It then occurred to me that my hot run had it's purpose.  It was a moving monument.  I will suffer a short, meaningless period to remember the lives/families that DIDN'T escape and honor their courage. 

I hope everyone can find their simple monument.  Then share it.  So we can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment