Monday, August 22, 2011

Holy crap! Luke ate it! And it was healthy! Try it on your kid.

Contrary to the beliefs of my clients.....I struggle with my diet.  I'm always trying to find ways out of cooking and shortcuts though I know more than most, the basis of good nutrition is solid whole food eating.  Sigh....at least I LIKE the taste of vegetables. 

When my son turned three, his birthday age represented the number of foods (if that's what you call it) he would eat.  Only eat.  Veggies are not included.  And so daily upon returning home from fitness projects, bears the cute little face of the hardest challenge I've ever trained:  Luke's eating. 

I juiced his veggies for a year.  That stopped when I wanted a life at home back.  I supplement and lie. Protein powders and "it's a chicken treat" for a piece of fish.  I almost got him to eat a kale chip which would have made mama do a back flip and happily see my chiro. 

But I did have a recent triumph!!  Luke LOVES popsicles.  He loves the eating process and the fact that they're portable more than anything.  So I decided to make one for him.  Frantically searching for the popsicle molds in the store, super savvy price matcher Mickey, suggested I just use a dixie cup and plastic spoon.  The plan was getting even better. 

Greek yogurt has a TON of protein so I mixed some of that with Whole Foods 365 Kids veggie powder.  A little bit of agave and super small ripped up kale and I set the deceiving cicles of mama love in the freezer.  Wait. 

Luke loves to open the freezer 20 times a day even though we haven't been to the store to see if magic ice cream appears.  It did.  He froze himself when he saw it and looked at me.  I played it cool.  If TOO anxious Luke knows there's something green involved so I pretended like he couldn't have it and they were mine.  I allowed him one if he put his toys away. 

He ripped that sucker out of my hand and disappeared so fast I signed him up for track.  I followed, dying with anticipation.  Crap, he saw me!  He took another discerning look at his home made and now questionable frozen snack.  Then he looked at me.  He watched my every move as he stuck out two millimeters of his tongue for a sample. Then came the full monty sugar craving, 3 food eating only, loud mouth.....he ate it!! Kale, veggie powder, and protein down the hatch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment